Trusted California Attorney Assists with Prenuptial & Postnuptial Agreements
Experienced lawyer drafts and enforces marital agreements in the Woodland Hills area
Many couples choose to create prenuptial also known as premarital agreements before they wed. Less common are postnuptial agreements afterward. Working out the terms of a potential settlement in advance allows you and your fiancée to decide how you wish your assets and debts to be divided in the event of a divorce or legal separation. Parties can also address spousal support in a premarital agreement. Under the law no child support or child custody issues may be addressed in a premarital agreement. Galen Gentry works with couples in the Los Angeles area and throughout Southern California to create fair and enforceable legal agreements that protect their interests.
Thorough Los Angeles Attorney advises clients on protecting their assets
In most situations one party wishes to present a prenuptial agreement to the other party. The party who desires the agreement hires a lawyer to draft it. The party to whom it’s presented should seek their own counsel to review the proposed agreement.
- A prenuptial agreement typically lists all of the property each person owns (as well as any debts) and specifies what each person’s property rights will be after the marriage
- Often the agreement states that the separate property of each party will remain separate property and the assets obtained during marriage will not be community property
- The agreement may specify how finances and assets will be handled during the marriage
- The agreement may specify spousal support terms
- The agreement may address business ownership issues
- The agreement may specify what happens with disability and other insurance coverage
Skilled attorney handles challenges to prenuptial agreements
Premarital and postnuptial agreements are legal contracts that are enforceable by law and can prove challenging to contest later. In the event that you signed an agreement and now wish to challenge it, I can advise you on your options and likelihood of success.
- You may have valid grounds for challenging the agreement if any of the following occurred:
- Your spouse did not disclose all of his or her assets or debts
- You were unfairly pressured into signing the agreement
- You were deceived into signing the contract
If necessary, we can litigate your matter in court. My firm also represents clients who wish to enforce the terms of their prenuptial or postnuptial agreement that their spouse desires to contest.
Contact a respected California family law attorney for help with marital agreements
Galen Gentry assists clients in Los Angeles and Southern California with drafting, reviewing and enforcing prenuptial and postnuptial agreements to protect their interests. Call at (818) 864-7833 or contact me online to schedule a free virtual consultation at my Woodland Hills office.